[AMPS] HV Fusing / Diode Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV Fusing / Diode Protection
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:12:20 +0008

Phil wrote...

< snip >

> A glitch resistor is to limit the energy stored in the
> filter capacitors to a few joules while the primary circuit
> breakers/fuses have time to blow during a fault in the RF
> deck. It must be robust enough to NOT BLOW UP during
> an arc or fault in the amp. The value is selected to limit
> the energy and the wattage is selected to handle the power
> for the length of time required for the power supply to shut
> itself down.

Not quite.  The energy stored in the filter capacitors depends only
on the (filter) capacitance and the voltage to which it is charged.
The glitch resistor limits the CURRENT in the circuit while this
energy is being discharged due to an arc, etc. Phil is exactly right
in saying that it must NOT blow up; it must hang in there and
dissipate the energy.

Like Rich suggests, I like about 20 ohms and 20 (or even 50) watts.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT