[AMPS] s meter calibration

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] s meter calibration
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Colin Lamb)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:07:37 -0700
Where does one draw the line on s-meter calibration?  It would not be
difficult to compensate for all the adjustments and gain variations of the
receiver and convert actual microvolts at the antenna input to a defined
s-meter reading.  But that reading will not mean much if the antenna is not
standardized.  A stacked 6 over 6 will be more generous than a dipole.

Perhaps the best use of the s-meter is to allow the user to estimate changes
in actual db.  Years ago I ripped out my rf gain control in a receiver and
replaced it with a shielded multideck switch wired as an attenuator and
calibrated in 6 db steps giving a 36 db range at the antenna input.  It was
a most useful accessory and allowed me to give reasonable estimates of
changes made by the other station.

I build a lot of portable gear (I am probably not allowed to mention qrp
here) and have found that I end up using these rigs with very poor antennas.
At first, I calibrated the s meter as accurately as possible.  However, with
poor antennas, the s meter always read low.  Now, I calibrate the s meter so
that a loud station pins the meter.  It may not be accurate, but it makes me
feel better.  Otherwise, I spent most of my time trying to change the
antenna to receive better.  For portable operation out of my canoe or kayak,
S9 means I can hear them.

Colin  K7FM