[AMPS] 2000 ARRL Handbook question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 2000 ARRL Handbook question
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 20:39:58 -0700
>C'mon Rich I have not seen this article.What does it say the suspense is
>killing me.

Mr. Ehrhorn says there is no evidence.  Thanks to N7WS, there is
evidence.  Now that the evidence is there, Ehrhorn is silent on the
matter.  He apparently does not like to admit to making errors.

> Also while I have you i have a question.I am building some 6m
>PA's using a GS35B for the contest group and I am having difficulty
>obtaining some ferrite which I have always used in the past for fil.
>chokes.

On 6m, air-core chokes work well.  Air never saturates.

> As I am beginning to understand things a little better, rather than
>copying things, it strikes me that the ferrite is unnessary on 6m.If I have
>a XL of something over 200 ohms that should be in the right ballpark
>shouldn't it?

True.

>20 turns of 1.63 mm wire on a half inch ptfe former should do
>it according to my rough calculations,bifilar wound of course.Does that
>sound about right?

50-ohms of XL should be plenty.

>Is there anything I should be aware of re parasitics, the GS35b can be treat
>like a 8877 with slightly less input and output C.Any comments or tips?

Keep the lead from C-tune to the anodes as short as practical.  Add some
vhf loaders at the cathode.  These are roughly 10-ohms in series with c.
30pF, from the cathode to ground.  They load the feedback path.

cheers, Conrad

end