[AMPS] 2000 ARRL Handbook question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 2000 ARRL Handbook question
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 06:49:49 -0400
Hi Rich and all,

> ?  John --  The same statement (by Ehrhorn) was in the '95 Handbook.  This
> was before Wes' tests with the Hewlett Packard Impedance Analyzer.  The
> test evidence showed that a resistance wire suppressor lowers VHF-Q by a
> bit over 40%.  This is probably a conservative number because we currently
> use resistance wire that has about 70% more resistance than the wire used
> in Wes' tests.  However, if resistors were available that had roughly 10nH
> of L,  And would dissipate at least 30w, an even lower VHF-Q suppressor
> could be built with copper wire.   Cesiwid Co. told me they could
> manufacture such resistors.  The asking price for a min. order was about
> 10 kilobucks.

That's your opinion Rich. If you ask Wes, the fellow who made the
measurements, his conclusion is different than yours.

Same old song, same old dance no matter what the music is..

Wes actually concluded the only place nichrome seriously lowered
the Q was at HF...not at VHF. That makes sense since the
inductor has more current at HF than VHF, and the resistor gets
more current at VHF where the inductor impedes the current flow.

No one expects you to change at this point, you have too much
time invested in the claims you make.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com