[AMPS] Suppressors, measurements, and acrimonious blather

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Suppressors, measurements, and acrimonious blather
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:33:42 -0400
> The only useful
> goal with today's technology is to not allow the parasitic oscillation to
> start in the first place.

Help me here.  Isn't this the purpose of the suppressor?  That is , it's
function in design is not only to limit parasitic currents to a "negligible
level," but more importantly "suppress" the oscillation from occuring "in
the first place?"

> Unless Rich's suppressor sales activities are
> legally established under IRS code 501(c) as a non-profit enterprise, he
is
> in violation of copyright law every time he mentions Wes' measurements in
> manner that makes his devices appear favourable.

Perhaps, unless Rich uses the material "in fair use," as provided for in the
U.S. copyright law.  Additionally, violations to copyright law are not
limited to "for profit" references.  Adding web links for general
distribution (e.g., Wes's link to this mail list) without the express
consent of the copyright holder can also lead to copyright infringement.

> There is no need to pound repetitively
> on the nail of suppressor Q when a few hours work with a nearly free
> software package will show whether it makes sense to do so or not.

Unless you believe that modeling is not perfect in all cases and measuring
resonances in the completed, constructed circuit is a better attempt.  Seems
there's an analogy to be made between the accuracy of circuit modeling and
the accuracy of antenna modeling software when ground effects are
considered.

I too am perplexed by the ongoing suppressor controversey and it's function
seems to be nearly as mystical as that accorded by the dreaded balun.  I
question the placement of some type of anode suppressor in nearly every
commercially-manufactured amateur amplifiers when most of the same
manufacturers would have you believe that 1) their amplifiers are ultimately
stable, and 2) suppressors are not required in "well-engineered" designs.
If conditions 1 & 2 are met, isn't it ridiculous to include the suppressors
in their designs?  Or, is the inclusion of the suppressor in their
amplifiers that little bit of insurance against "the unknown?"

Seems like Rich has worked toward an alternative method suppressing
parasitics that is no more costly or dangerous to the performance of a H.F.
amplifier's design than that provided for by the standard use of the classic
coiled wire on a carbon composition resistor.