[AMPS] Suppressors, measurements, and acrimonious blather

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Suppressors, measurements, and acrimonious blather
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:22:29 -0500
> I have a nasty suspicion that one of the problems  with the classic suppressor
> is that the carbon comp resistor is pushed pretty hard in terms of
> dissipation,
> especially on the higher bands, by the fundamental current. Add to that fact
> that the resistor is in a high temperature environment as well, all of which
> isn't good for reliability. The result is that the resistor value goes high,
> and
> a suppressor that worked becomes a suppressor that doesn't work anymore.
>
> 73
>
> Peter G3RZP

I have several suppressors made by Eimac for 3-1000Z's and 4-1000A's.
They use large carborundum resistors and silver plated strap or large
bus bar wire. Most commercially made suppressors for large ceramic
tubes consist of several 2 watt resistors soldered to a slightly bent length
of 1/2 inch strap. Most high power RF generators I've seen/owned using
3CX3000A7's and 8877's operating on 13.560 mhz use no resistor at
all...just a slightly bent strap between the anode and C-block.

Many of the amateur amp manufacturers never bothered to scale up
their suppressors when they went to larger tubes. I guess they would look
out of place with the mini-tank coils and band switches!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC