[AMPS] Come Clean

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Come Clean
From: da_kang@hotmail.com (Jeff Wolf)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:05:40 GMT
I say there, "Jeff", come clean with us.

>>>Come clean how?  You are the distrusting soul, who cannot take someone at
>>>face value.  I have come clean.  Their are people on this mailing list
>>>who know what my call is.  Their are also people on the list that I help
>>>via email, for fear of the retribution of people like yourself.  Some
>>>people just can't seem to live in peace with others, and feel they must
>>>cause trouble.

You make comments repeatedly that suggest your implicit support of illicit
CB operations

>>>Yes, I do.  Yes, I know people that run amplifiers on the 11 meter band.
>>>Yes, I have even (God have mercy on my soul) run a linear on 11 meters!

(your former moniker of "CBer extraordinaire")

>>>Not former, I just dropped it to give tight a$$es less to piss and moan
>>>about.  Read what you want into that comment.

then you claim to be a ham, yet do not present a callsign,

>>>Wait.  I don't believe it is necessary to have to give a call to use the
>>>internet, nor this reflector, is it?  Please correct me if I am wrong.

and the name "Jeff Wolf" does not exist in either the QRZ or the Buckmaster
database as a recognized ham.

>>>Obviously you don't know how to do a search, or the name would turn up an
>>>amateur in Oregon.

Before you throw a fit about my criticalness about who is legitimately
qualified to make technical observations,

>>>Legitimately?  I beg to differ.  Nobody has died and made you moderator
>>>of this list, God, or one to judge others.  Again, correct me if I am
>>>wrong.

it has nothing to do with whether you're a CBer or ham or what not.

>>>Your actions speak otherwise.  YOU are the one who continuously repeats
>>>my affiliations with 11 meter operators.

I, after all, am not currently a licensed ham.  What I find objectionable is
that you hide behind a curtain of anonymity.

>>>Because of two reasons, that have already been givin out on the list.

You prognosticate your opinions without any evidence that you own (or would
have the slightest idea of what to do with) responsible test equipment,

>>>What would you like?  Pictures?  Model numbers?  Certifications?

and you clearly are not up to date on the current thinking on the art (hence
your apparent ignorance of the direct correlation between regulated screens
and IMD and the fact that 4CX250B's have a dreadful reputation for IMD).

>>>Quite a few people on the list seem to disagree with you and YOUR
>>>thinkings on the 250 series of tubes.  Are they all idiots now?  Or is
>>>anything they say discredited because they don't agree with you?

Do present yourself openly, and do present some numerical justification for
your claims.  We all know who W8JI is, and we all know what manufacturer he
is connected with, and we can ascertain his biases accordingly.  You,
however, have not exposed who you are, who you are connected with, and even
more recently, have exacerbated the situation by claiming that a
manufacturer that you apparently have some admiration for, was "heavily
influenced by a member of this reflector".

>>>I am "connected" with no manufacturer, have no biases towards ANY
>>>manufacturer, and have my own thoughts and beliefs.  If you chose to not
>>>agree, that is your perogative.

Thus, you have added an additional layer of anonymity.  What is it you hide
from?

>>>Already answered this question

For my part, I agree with Tom's premonitions, but acknowledge that I have
never put a "Pride" amplifier on a spectrum analyser.

>>Someone else on the reflector has already commented about the cleanliness,
>>and shortcomings of the Pride KW-1 and DX300 amps.  Save yourself the
>>effort and read them.

But I do know that in my days in the two way radio business, I saw a lot of
Pride amplifiers sold by CB-focused dealers, and Pride amplifiers advertised
in trucker magazines that highlighted CB equipment.

>>>And I never said they didn't cater to the CB industry.  I merely stuck up
>>>for what I believe is a good amplifier.  Judging from others comments,
>>>their are those that agree with me.  Also, some others disagree.

I do not ever recall Pride doing an advertising campaign in a ham magazine.
Regardless of whether the amplifier was technically capable of 80-10 metre
operation, the company's choice of where to market the amplifier makes their
intentions rather clear, I think.

Who are you and why do you hide?

>>>Really, why do you care?  I am a person with something to contribute to
>>>the list, have some knowledge of how an amplifier works, and someone who
>>>is still learning (aren't we all???)

Ham radio is not like the internet; it is not a random group of anonymous
strangers.

>>>Your right, and when I am on the amateur bands, I have no problem with
>>>giving my call.

>>>Do you think this list is restricted?  Do you NOT know of the web
>>>interface on this list that enables ANYONE to get your names, email
>>>addresses, and with the help of QRZ, allows anyone to get your most
>>>recent address (provided you abide by the law and notify the FCC of all
>>>your moves)?  I, for one, prefer not to have my email inbox and my home
>>>mailbox filled with junkmail (and I did test it, and once was subscribed
>>>to this list with my proper email addy, and had a full mailbox of junk
>>>mail).  It is very simple.

Ham radio is about connecting more closely and significantly and is no place
for those who hide behind false identifications.

>>>And when you get a call again, and I meet you on the amateur bands, I
>>>will let you know who I am.  AFAIK, this IS the internet.

Present your callsign or be dismissed as fluff.

>>>Your opinion means little, if anything, in this regard.

>>>Have a nice day, Fred.

--Toll Free

Fred Fliss
ex-G3FLF