[AMPS] Problem with SB-220 Bias Diodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Problem with SB-220 Bias Diodes
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:31:01 -0400
> ?  I lost count.  --------     Please describe how you remove each type of
> anode-cooler.  What does a ''barnacle'' look like?  Is this a common
> occurrence?   > Cheers, Tom

Barnacles are described in many texts. Copper actually grows
barnacles when in a vacuum.

This entire topic has been discussed here before. Repeating it with
you will do very little good. You seem to think an ionized path
inside the tube will always leave an arc point marking that can be
easily located, and a barnacle will remain long after an arc.

Tube faults like that are intentionally removed by controlled arcing,
and uncontrolled flash will do the same thing.

If the tube repeatedly arcs, it needs to be replaced.

I'm more interested in your claim the grid fails to be a shield in the
3-500Z at 80 MHz, and the grid capacitors raise that frequency.
How do you determine that?

If I do a plot of S12 or S21 on a cold tube in a test fixture, would
you like to put it on your web page and remove the incorrect data?
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com