SV: [AMPS] Linearizing Linears, feedback or feedforward

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] Linearizing Linears, feedback or feedforward
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:28:15 +0100
Harry says:

        > It covered all the way from 80 meters to 2 meters. Quite a challenge,
        > especially at that time.

Since the performance was so poor from an efficiency point of view, I have to
query the rationale behind doing it. If it's just a case of put 'more bands on
it so people will think it's a better bargain', they could have added 70cms as
well. Seems to me that in reality, it was a pretty pointless exercise,
especially since they could have used different circuitry with a surplus 829B
(similar costs) and have had performance on 2metres. There were enough cheap
surplus SCR522's around to raid for tube sockets, too......

Talking of the 829 (and the physically similar 826 and 832), all the ones I've
seen in recent years have leaked through the seals - probably not surprising.
Has anyone else noticed this?

73

Peter G3RZP