[AMPS] MFJ-259B Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MFJ-259B Question
From: ITR@Nanoteq.co.za (Ian Roberts)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:59:14 +0200
measures wrote:

> I bought an MFJ keyer.  It went
> belly up.   I opened it up to make repairs.   I was shocked at the shoddy
> construction.   I placed the pieces in the trash and swore off of MF-Junk
> for the remainder of my stay on earth.

The MFJ DSP filter box purchased from HRO works fine here after a few
years.
The DSP device is the cheapest available, but all parameters are more or
less per spec.
At the end of the day the idea is to make money, not satisfy those that
are possibly insatiable: this is easily conformed by looking through the
pages of QST to see who is advertising. Starkville is THE player in ham
radio accessories right now. Clearly something is happening there..
In the meantime some "quality" devices have become unmarketable, with
the manufacturers going belly up.

One of the big features of Starkville's products is the high level of
common sense in providing user-demanded useful features, rather than
defining what the user shall have and amen.

To the typical hobbyist ham, and that is where the market is, the price
of the toys is more important than perceived quality or performance.

Ian ZS6BTE