[AMPS] a sticky issue.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] a sticky issue.
From: Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 08:34:53 -0700
Have spent much of my active tenure as a ham operating from club
stations, I can attest to some of interesting techniques folks sometimes
use when tuning amplifiers. Back at Ohio State, we had one fellow
fom Argentina who stopped by the club once a week to keep a 21 MHz
sked with family members in LU. Near as I could tell Eduardo's tune up
procedure for the TL-922 consisted of setting the band switch to "21"
and moving the power switch from the "off" to the "on" position.
Fortunately for us, he ran very light on the drive control.

Another good story my girlfriend told me was a conversation overheard
at a then local Best Buy in Florida. A couple was at the customer service
counter complaining that their new computer would not work. The CSR
was then seen to pull a IEC power cord still wrapped in plastic from the
computer's box. Upon seeing the pristine power chord wrapped in plastic
the wife loudly exclaimed "Harold, you idiot!".

None of us are immune of course. When I went to Ohio State and joined
the Amateur Radio Club, I had to be "trained" how to tune a PI-network,
despite the fact that I had held an Advanced Class Amateur Radio license
for over 5 years . All my on the operating experience prior to that was with
a solid state rig.

I observed similiar naviety when working part-time for the Electrical
Engineering Department at OSU under the work-study program. I was put
in charge of handing out  parts and test equipment to students in a senior
level digital design course. A lot of the students thought I was a graduate
student because I was running around teaching them how to use the
oscilloscopes and do some basic troubleshooting of their circuits. At the
time, I was still taking pre-major course like Calculus and Physics and had yet
to take my first EE course. Nothing I was doing was rocket science. When it
came to Carnot maps and state machine design, I was clueless. For many
of these students though, this was their first real exposure to "hands on"
circuit design and the use of test equipment. I had the advantage of 6 years
of ham radio tinkering.

Dave Rutledge, KN6EK EE professor at Caltech has addressed the problem
very well. He teaches a sophomore level EE course using the Norcal 40 QRP rig.
Students actually build, troubleshoot, and test a real live working amateur
transceiver as part of their coursework. As Dave puts it, "College students
nowadays typically begin the study of electrical engineering with little
experience in building electrical or mechanical systems. They have not tinkered
with cars or built ham transceivers. This makes it difficult for students to
appreciate the relative importance of different topics and to understand how
the different parts of a system go together."