[AMPS] a sticky issue.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] a sticky issue.
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 20:50:22 -0400
> > 3.) What difference do you expect to see?
>
> I have never played with an AL-1500, but the amps I have a lot
> of experience with (old Alphas et al, using B&W 800 chokes
> on 160m. ( which are less than half of the Ameritron choke in value)
>
> I find that  chokes of less value than about 150uh affect the tank circuit
> in that the book values for the Pi or Pi-L don't work out because the
> choke fouls up the L/C ratios in the tank with its interaction on 160m.
>
> I see very little difference in the output, but I am not worried about
> that. My concern is 160m RF getting back into the power supply and even
> the A.C. mains.  As you know, 160m is a "whole 'nuther ball game."

1.) It has to get past the electrolytics.

2.) It has to get past the capacitors across the diodes.

3.) It has to get through the transformer.

4.) It has to get past the line bypasses.

Seems like a big non-issue to me, since the radiation from an
antenna even a large distance away into the power lines will be
hundreds of times stronger than RF leakage through that "direct
path".

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com