[AMPS] AMERITRON AL80A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AMERITRON AL80A
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 08:23:06 -0400
George,

>     I HAVE THE POSIBILITY TO BUY AN AMERITRON AL-80A FOR  REASONABLE
>     PRICE.
>
>     I WANT IT TO HAVE AS A SECOND AMP, FOR BACK UP IN CASE THE MAIN AMP
> FAILURE DURING A CONTEST.
>
>     I LOOKED FOR THIS MODEL BUT ONLY FOUND AL-80B, NOT AL-80A, SO I WANT
> KNOW IF SOMEONE HAVE ANYTIME THIS AMP OR KNOW ABOUT IT TO GIVE ME SOME
> FEEDBACK.
>
>     DO YOU KNOW ABOUT ANY PROBLEM WITH THE MODEL
  AL-80A????

The AL80A is a good amplifier as is George. It was very popular,
and had very few service problems.

What is the serial number of the AL80A?

Later models has step-start protection and a buck-boost winding
on the transformer. If it is an early model (below S/N 500) I'd
upgrade it. Almost 10,000 AL80A's were manufactured.

The AL80 is not good. Avoid the AL80, but the 80A is very good.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com