[AMPS] Re: G2DAF Amps Circuit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: G2DAF Amps Circuit
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:18:55 -0700
>Hi Bill, Rich, Tom,
>    First, I suppose I should state that I am not a proponent of the
>G2DAF amplifier geometry.
>
>    My personal preferences in the amplifier field are in the grid
>driven, regulated screen, AB1 club with as much idling current as
>necessary to maintain linearity, and heat the shack, or way off in the
>other direction: class D, or 3rd harmonic enhanced class C, with envelope
>restoration .
>
>    The cogent question regarding the DAF concept is "Why does it work as
>well as it does? or even at all!"

minus 22db distortion is hardly "well".

>    According the original article, which Ian has posted on his website,
>the design goals were for a simplified circuit eliminating the
>conventional screen supply coupled with a reduction in standby
>dissipation.
>
>    Mr. Thornly also seem to be concerned with the linearity of his
>creation and supports his findings with a number of charts.  He shows
>that the output envelope is a fairly faithful reproduction of the input.
>The question remains -- how faithful?

With a two-tone driving signal, screen potential was constant and
linearity was improved.

>   Back in the late '50's / early '60's anything with -20dB distortion
>products would pass as state of the art.

[chortle]

>  Today we should ask for a bit better fidelity.   -40dB is a good
>benchmark.

Typical solid state radios are not this good.

>  I would offer the follow "improvements", without warranty!, to the DAF
>concept to those interested in improving the design.
>
>  1. A tuned input structure to maintain the input waveform fidelity when
>being driven from a transistorized exciter.
>
>  2. A simple envelope correction circuit appended to the screen supply
>to enhance the overall linearity.  A couple of simple (diode) envelope
>detectors feeding a single op-amp driving a power FET shunt should
>suffice.
>
>  3. Eschew the use of ceramic tetrodes/pentodes designed specifically
>for class AB1 applications -- the grids are generally too lightly
>constructed to be driven into AB2.  Of course, this comment does not
>apply to those parts which are specified for class C operation.
>
>   Confirm the results with a standard two-tone measurement and let us
>know when you get to -40dB distortion numbers... if you happen to have an
>exciter clean enough to make those measurements!

A two tone test will not reveal the flaw in the DAF design because it
applies constant screen potential.

cheers, Marv  WC6W

>*

>Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!