[AMPS] Hi Power Connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Hi Power Connectors
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 01:10:16 -0500
Arne N7KA <gjerning@flash.net> wrote:
>...N connectrors are rated at 1000V RMS. Did not have rating for UHF
>connectors handy but seem to remember 500V RMS.

Thanks for the info.  I'm interested in this thread because I, too, have
wondered about the suitability of these connectors for high power.  A
couple of questions come to mind:

1. If N connectors are rated at 1000V RMS, I wonder whether they are good
for the 1000/50= 20 A that would flow in a matched 50-ohm system.  That
center pin looks kinda small.

2. The center pin of a UHF connector is fat, and the insulating air-space
in a UHF connector looks if anything wider than what's in an N connector.
Is a UHF connector really not capable of handling higher voltage and higher
power than an N connector?  Yes, I appreciate that a UHF connector must not
be used where it might get wet, and that mechanically it's a piece of junk.

73 de Chuck W1HIS