[AMPS] Re: Circuit for measuring RF voltage...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Circuit for measuring RF voltage...
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 08:56:40 -0000
Mauri says:

>Any indirect measurement, i.e. evaluating RMS power through a voltage,
>needs calibration

Very much so. One just needs to bear in mind that test gear does need
re-calibrating, and as amateurs, we don't always do it as often as we should.
Incidentally, approved European Test Houses should be able to measure conducted
power to better than +/-0.75dB to a 95% confidence level. Even that's not
necessarily very easy - it's worth looking at the ETSI document ETR028 on
measurement uncertainties.

Thermal methods have advantages, but aren't necessarily quick and easy. In the
final analysis, of course, it's down 'did the DX come back?'

Rich said:

>A person who is not familiar with the correct installation procedure for
>N fittings is not likely to produce trustworthy results.

I guess, as Rich would say, Amen. A common problem over here with TV sets is
that installers rarely solder the inner conductor of the connector (Type F is
only used for cable, and we don't have that much cable). If you want a badly
installed connector, that's the place for it.......

73

Peter G3RZP