[AMPS] Re: Circuit for measuring RF voltage...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Circuit for measuring RF voltage...
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:45:53 +0100

> I haven't seen an analogue 'scope guaranteed to an accuracy of better than
+/-5%
> of full screen.  That means a possible power error of around +/-10%,
excluding
> probe errors. Digital ones can get to 1%, although you have to watch
analogue
> bandwidth ratings, and aliasing problems if you're not running single
tone. Add
> the probe error too. Any of these methods requires calibration against a
known
> power source at the frequency of operation.
>
> 73
>
> Peter G3RZP

Any indirect measurement, i.e. evaluating RMS power through a voltage, needs
calibration.
So called in-line wattmeters are actually voltage/current meters, presume a
sine wave is applyed and the SWR is 1:1.
Detecting a peak voltage allows DC measurement but introduces other
parameters (linearity) that have to be corrected (diode curve and
capacitance) so making a useless feature inherent voltage meter precision.
All considered an oscilloscope is not so bad or worse.

73,
Mauri I4JMY