SV: [AMPS] SB-220 Glitch Resistor ???

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] SB-220 Glitch Resistor ???
From: w.knol@niwa.cri.nz (Wilbert Knol)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:21:26 1300
> This keeps on coming around. OE5JFL now has an English-language version
> of his thyristor crowbar on his own site, with readable schematics:
>
> http://www.qsl.net/oe5jfl/flashover.htm
>
> That solution is better than a glitch resistor, but it also requires a
> lot more effort.

I had a look at the OE5JFL crowbar. It looks like a good idea. But  I
would still use the glitch resistor.

The cascaded thyristor network looks a bit dubious though. The ones
slowest to fire could fail, due to having to block excessive voltage.

I would put one thyristor across each electrolytic/bleeder. That way,
each cap gets discharged individually, and there is no risk of zapping
the thyristors.

Thanks for mentioning the URL.

Wilbert, ZL2BSJ