[AMPS] AL-1200 Blower

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-1200 Blower
From: w7ti@jps.net (Bill Turner)
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:37:46 -0800
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:48:45 -0600 , Brakob, Hans wrote:

>Just installed a new AL-1200 yesterday.
>The blower is kinda loud, like sitting in the back row of a DC-9 with full
>reverse thrusters.
>I notice the blower has wiring options for 4 speeds (it comes wired for 3rd
>gear).
>Has anyone rewired for lower speeds and used the amp for contesting?

I can only offer some advice if you're planning on using the AL-1200
for RTTY.  I had one several years ago and smoked the 80/160 tank coil
twice while RTTY contesting.  IOW, the AL-1200 cooling is marginal for
full-power, full-carrier operation.  I'd be careful about reducing the
fan speed.  After replacing the tank coil, I held it to less than 1 kW
out and had no problems.

The problem is that the exhaust air from the tube is dumped into the
cabinet rather than being vented outside.  I would strongly recommend
modifying it to vent air outside, although this would probably void
your warranty.  The way Alpha does it with silicone rubber chimneys
would seem to be a good way.  Please note I haven't actually tried
this, so I can't guarantee this is enough improvement.  I sold the amp
to a fellow who works only SSB/CW and as far as I know, he's happy
with it.

Hope this helps.

73, Bill W7TI