[AMPS] Advice On Homebrewing Chassis Please

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Advice On Homebrewing Chassis Please
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:23:03 EST
On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 12:21:04 -0800 "Terry Gaiser" <W6RU@bak.rr.com>
writes:
>Marv,
>
>Thanks much for your comments and suggestions ... will take some of this
>into account.
>
>Best Holiday Greetings,
>Terry W6RU

Hi Terry,
  You're welcome.

  I got to thinking, after I sent you my comments, that in all the years
I've been building stuff, I've made a lot of other strange shapes to hold
capacitors, motors, etc. and even a couple of chassis shaped covers but,
never a "standard" chassis.

  When I've needed an enclosure like that I seem to trend toward using
flat panels that are joined at the corners using internal square stock
which is drilled & tapped then fastened by means of flat head screws
installed in countersunk holes in the panels.   Alignment of the holes is
assured without any fancy layout techniques (or machinery!) merely by
clamping the appropriate parts together and drilling them in position.
Any panel may then be removed from the assembled "box" and worked on
separately for service.   This technique also allows for "custom"
extensions beyond the side of the box, if required, to mount something
else.  The drawback is that it takes quite a while to build in this
style!  :-)

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*