[AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:29:39 -0800
In general:

Once upon a time in my life, professionally, it was my job as part of a
team to review engineering models & prototypes for the ability to be
manufactured and used reliably by the end user.  Later it turned to
quality acceptance and quality assurance.  I seem to recall something
that was referred to as "rule of 10s".  It went like this"

If a $1.00 part was designed into a piece of equipment and the part was
defective, the projected cost of $10.00 was required to replace it with
a new part.  If the $1.00 part was allowed to get through production and
end up in a final product it then would cost $100.00 to replace it. (One
must consider all the unpacking, re-packing, re-test of the production
lot and etc.  Then if the $1.00 part (from engineering) went all the way
to the end user, it cost $1000.00 to replace it at the end user site.
(Figure the cost of travel, lodging, meals and the Field Service
Engineer to accomplish this task.)

In the end, a poor design or poor selection of parts can get very very
expensive not to mention a very unhappy end user.

An yes, if the user can figure out a way to operate something
incorrectly thus causing a failure....... they always will.  I really
don't think it's possible to "totally idiot proof" a design.  I'm told
that there are those that can damage an anvil just carrying it across
the street. :-)

73
Bob K4TAX