[AMPS] Vacuum Capacitor Voltage Rating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Vacuum Capacitor Voltage Rating
From: Wt8r@aol.com (Wt8r@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:31:42 EST
In a message dated 3/13/01 1:32:58 AM Eastern Standard Time, W4EF@dellroy.com
writes:

>  I have a vacuum cap that was pulled from an old homebrew amp that
>  I picked up in Florida a few years ago. The part number markings on the
>  cap are as follows:
>
>                          Jennings Type "UCSX"
>                           C746749 C1825
>                           20 to 675 MMFD
>
>  Scratched into the copper outer cylinder is the following:
>
>                             UCSX-740
>
>  The cap is about 8" long (from shaft coupler to back end) and about
>  3 1/2" in diameter. Is there any way to tell what the voltage rating is
>  for this part short of doing a hi-pot test?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Mike, W4EF.............

Mike,

Normally the voltage rating is painted on the black part of the capapcitor
between the glass and the drive mechanism.  As I recall from looking in my
Jennings catalog, there is no apparent physical difference between the 5KV,
10KV & the 15KV vac variable.

You will probably have to high pot it to be sure.

73 de

Dave, WT8R