[AMPS] RE: RF Amplifier Discussion Digest V4 #88

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE: RF Amplifier Discussion Digest V4 #88
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 00:32:07 -0500
Eddy,

I wasn't sure whether you were counting the LEDs from the left or right (the
correct way is to count from the right, as in binary arithmetic.) If you are
counting from the right, the LEDs would look like this ("+" indicates a
blinking LED and the "o" indicates a dark LED):

                 oo+o+

This is fault #5, Hard, "Plate voltage abnormally low." This is a hard
fault, which shuts off the power.

If you are counting from the left, the LEDs would look like this:

                 +o+00

This is fault #20, Soft, "Filament current greater than 3.5 amp. Possible
shorted filament." This is a soft fault, where the amp falls into standby
but power stays on.

#20.

It's hard to speculate about a cause -- this is a very complex amp. It could
be a tube problem (unlikely since you changed the tubes), a filament
transformer problem, a problem with the ICs that detect filament voltage, or
a problem with the power supply for those ICs.

Since the problem only happens on 10M, it's possible that you have an RFI
problem. I once had some mysterious faults on 10M that I traced to RF on the
key line. I cured it by adding .01uf bypass capacitors to the key line from
the transceiver to the amp. You could test this by replacing the key line
with a shorting plug in the amp's KEY IN jack, then keying the transmitter.

73, Dick WC1M