[AMPS] 4-1000A Project

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-1000A Project
From: na9d@mindspring.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 21:59:48 -0500
on 4/3/01 8:47 PM, Phil (VA3UX) at phil@vaxxine.com wrote:

> At 06:02 PM 4/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>> Why do you need a good bandswitch to prevent arcing at high voltages?
>>
>> The band switch should come AFTER the DC blocking cap.  Therefore, as long
>> as it can handle the circulating currents present in the tank, the plate
>> voltage should make no difference.
>>

> Huh ?  Say what ?
>
> Gee, could it be that the peak RF voltage is related to the DC plate voltage ?

Yeah, I wrote it in a hurry and wasn't thinking clearly.  You are absolutely
correct.  Call me a loser.  I know some here will.  Let me be the first to
say it: Hoof and Mouth disease affects humans.

>> If you have a design that is not DC blocked (not sure why you'd want to do
>> that), then I agree.  But with a proper design, it should not matter.
>>
>> Also, no offense to Mike, W1NR, below, but I suspect his power numbers as
>> well.  All my experience and actually data in the books shows that the
>> 4-1000A does not put out 1800 W from 100 W in at 4400 Volts.  Perhaps he's
>> got an extremely hot tube, but that is not the norm.
>>

> I don't suspect Mike's numbers at all.  I do suspect your data (and perhaps
> your "experience").  I have Eimac's bulletin (# AS-1) right here : with Ep
> = 4000V and 105 watts drive it is spec'd for 1870 watts. At Ep = 5000V and
> 70 watts drive it's spec'd for 1900 W out.  Both cathode driven.

I understand what Eimac's numbers say.  Believe me, I tried for them when
building my amp.  I've never seen that kind of gain.  I've asked others who
have built 4-1000A's as well and they haven't either.  I will say the tube
has a lot more gain at lower frequencies.  On 80M, I can drive mine with
about 50 Watts to legal limit.  On 15M where I am least efficient, my drive
is nearly 100 W.

Are there more efficient tank circuits than mine?  Probably.  That's why I
suggested folks not use the B&W coil/switch combination as the coil
inductances aren't anywhere near what is needed in the 4-1K.

>> Most ham power meters are not at all accurate at mid-scale power readings.
>>

> They aren't accurate at any position of the scale to much better than 10%.

They are especially inaccurate at mid scale.  I just did some rough
calibration and comparison on mine as I replaced a meter movement.  At the
low end and high end of the meter, the accuracy was much better between
meters than at mid scale.  Just an observation.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden