[AMPS] Re:PC power supplys

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re:PC power supplys
From: yo9fzs@office.deck.ro (yo9fzs)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:55:00 +0300
Hello Harry,

I used the PC switching PS also for general purpose, including the use
of the 12 V output for power audio applications and DC motors.
The output rectifier circuit can be modified for more current (using bigger
rectifier and thick wire for the choke), but the main problem remains
the transformer.
I modified one for higher output current and adjustable output voltage and
it worked ok. I used it for "formatting" some tubes.

I have a copy from a RadCom article about modifying it for using with
a 100W HF transceiver, but I didn't try it, I was afraid to not blow a
$2000 transceiver because of the $ 5 PS (I found few complet destroyed
PCs because of defective/overvoltage PS).
I think that it would work ok for casual SSB and CW, but not for
contest RTTY at 100W out (17 amps @13V).
If you want, I can scan and send it to you.

73,
Traian