[AMPS] source of large inductors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] source of large inductors
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:04:00 -0700
Hello all:

For a source of "LARGE" components, I just picked up a 1KW AM broadcast
transmitter ....... for free!!  Yep, as most stations are going solid
state with digital modulated transmitters the old tube jobs are being
pushed aside.  Check in your local area, especially in the 250 watt to
1KW range for free goodies.  A 500 watt AM broadcast transmitter will
provide most all the components any ham might need for a high power
amp.  I've found that most places will be glad to get rid of them for
the haulin'.  Mine only weighed 1400 lbs. (GRUNT.... on an off the truck
with the aid of a tractor and front end loader.) Brought it home, set it
in the shop, connected 230VAC, attached a 50 ohm dummy load and VOLA!
1200 watts into the dummy load at 1400 KHz.  These things were ment to
run 7/24 and with high level modulation the plate transformer, choke,
filter cap and etc provided 3400VDC at well over an amp.  As to RF
components, they are big.

Good hunting.

73
Bob K4TAX

P.S. - Mine will be on 160 M AM before long. FYI - I just heard of a 1KW
TX that has just been put into storage in the Nashville TN area.  It was
replaced by a 5KW solid state TX.