[AMPS] AL-80b PROBLEM - ANY IDEAS?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-80b PROBLEM - ANY IDEAS?
From: sentek@sprintmail.com (Floyd Sense)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 18:06:44 -0400
Yes, looks like that's a good bet.  I just read the manual section on how
the dynamic bias works.  There's a third set of contacts on the RF switching
relay that affects the bias.  Looks like if that contact is not opening,
then the normal operating bias would be applied to the tube, hence the
100ma., which should be the normal idling current AFTER the first RF appears
from the exciter.  If the contact does open, a higher bias would be applied,
cutting of the tube.  I suppose a failure in capacitor C138, a bypass on the
bias line to the relay,  would have the same effect as the relay not
opening.

K8AC
Floyd Sense - Angier, NC