[AMPS] Nichrome wire and tube chimneys!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Nichrome wire and tube chimneys!
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 08:56:20 -0700

>I have seen questions about low-cost chimneys on the
>reflector from time to time and thought I would add a note
>for what it's worth.
>
>Pyrex glass chimneys for the 3-400, 3-500, and 4-400
>family are relatively expensive from Eimac. ... ... John

?  A drawback with Eimac air-system cooling is that pressurized air
passes through a socket that restricts air flow.  To compensate for this,
one must try to increase air pressure.  However, this is not easy.  More
air pressure means that one needs a high-speed blower  -  such as those
manufactured by Kooltronix® in Ventura, CA.    High-speed blowers are
costly  --  and they make way more acoustic noise than garden-variety
blowers.  Another problem  with air-system cooling is that the horizontal
cooling fins on anode connectors are designed for horizontal  - not
vertical -  air flow.
  Heath had a better idea.  The Heath SB-220 cooled the tubes with a
slow-speed fan blowing horizontally into a split-chassis.  The diameter
of the fan was slightly taller than the tubes - so moving air reached all
parts of the tubes - including the pins.  .  I have seen a number of
tubes that were removed from air-system sockets  in commercial
amplifiers.  The manufacture's red marking ink on the glass had turned
toasty brown.  On the other hand, I have seen a number of tubes that were
removed from SB-220s.  The ink on the glass was still red.  However, the
SB-220's ingenious cooling system is Not schmuckoid-proof.  The fan motor
bearings need to be oiled every year or so -  and no air flow restriction
should be placed against the left side and/or the top of the cabinet.

cheers

end