[AMPS] Nichrome wire and tube chimneys!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Nichrome wire and tube chimneys!
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--Signal Hill Ranch)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 07:27:18 -0600
At 09:06 AM 2001-05-14, Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX wrote:

>Just an observation, the design of a chimney is such that the vertical
>flow of air is directed evenly around the tube envelope and as it exits,
>also against the anode seal & heat sink at the top.  I really don't
>think a Coleman lantern globe or a pickle jar does the job.

Understand your issue with the Coleman lantern -- but the pickle
jar is shaped just like an Eimac chimney and curves the air
around to the anode connection.  The mouths on the pickle jar
and on the Eimac chimney are about the same size and the
curvature radius is approximately the same.

With the bottom removed the pickle jar looks virtually the same
as the EImac chimney except for the threaded neck--which,
at first appearance at least, would be even better than the
chimney to direct and hold in the air around the anode connection.

W0UN