[AMPS] Conjugate Matching and Efficiency

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Conjugate Matching and Efficiency
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 10:20:16 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Ogden <na9d@speakeasy.net>
To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@qsl.net>; amps@contesting.com
<amps@contesting.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: 26 May 2001 00:31
Subject: Re: [AMPS] Conjugate Matching and Efficiency

>on 5/25/01 8:47 AM, Steve Thompson at g8gsq@qsl.net wrote:
>
>> For power to be reflected, doesn't the source have to be a transmission
>> line? A series C can reduce the power delivered to a load just by adding
>> reactance and increasing the overall impedance thus reducing the current.
>
>What do you mean "doesn't the source have to be a transmission line?"

Nothing personal here, Jon, but I can't think of any other way to put it. In
my mind, I can't see how you can have or measure forward and reflected power
without a transmission line somewhere. Doesn't reflected power only happen
when the termination on a transmission line doesn't equal Zo. I'm wide open
to correction here.

>A series C can indeed do what you say.  However, a true series C does not
>dissipate energy but stores it.

Indeed. The point I intended to make was that there are situations and
impedances where simple impedance calculations are intuitively more useful
than s parameters, but it didn't come over as clearly as I intended.

Steve