[AMPS] RMS Power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RMS Power
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:27:32 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Billy Ward <billydeanward@hotmail.com>
To: amps@contesting.com <amps@contesting.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: 28 June 2001 05:28

>Hey guys,
>
>I am having quite a debate with a group of hams and cb'ers about the
subject
>of RMS power. I have been a Ham for almost 44 years and have never had
>anyone deny that there is such a thing as RMS Power.  I am aware that there
>are other amplifier manufacturers on this reflector and I would like some
>input on how to calculate RMS Power of a linear amplifier. I have heard or
>seen in a book somewhere that Average power is equal to the RMS voltage
>times the RMS current.  It seems to me that if one is measuring RMS voltage
>and RMS current, the product would be RMS power but it also seems that the
>reference that I read that said otherwise was one of the main respectable
>ARRL OR Orr handbooks.
RMS power exisits mathematically, but it's a meaningless concept in
practice. RMS is (square) root (of the) mean (of the) squares. In electrical
terms, it's the value of a steady state current (or voltage) which gives the
same heating effect as the varying waveform you are trying to quantify. RMS
volts x RMS current = mean power or average power. RMS power is just one of
those bad habits people drop in to.

Steve

Steve