[AMPS] RMS Power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RMS Power
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:44:19 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00A1_01C0FFC7.AADF2760

Hi Bill,

  Isn't the RMS Power rating of an audio amp much lower than its=20
  peak output capability? When I was in high school drooling over
  high-end stereo amps, I recall magazines like Stereo Review would
  rate audio amplifiers in terms of their peak output capability=20
  as well as RMS output.=20

  Yes, until the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) became involved after =
numerous consumer complaints were filed over deceptive advertising =
practices relating to audio power amplifier specifications.  In the late =
'70s, the FTC stepped in and required that all audio power amplifier =
manufacturers must advertise their published power specifications in =
terms of "continuous power."  Many of the better manufacturers complied, =
others did not.  Other terms like peak power, intermittent peak power =
and many others were crafted by shrewd marketing departments.  It's =
interesting to look at the amplifier power specs in an old Lafayette or =
Allied Radio catalog from the early '70s.  Not surprisingly, we continue =
to have this problem today in the advertised specifications of =
commercially-made amateur radio power amplifiers.  Stating power in =
terms of "Continuous Power, Unlimited Duration" takes into account the =
power envelope over time, since the power can fractionally change over a =
snap-shot in time.  Anything less than continuous, no-time-limit implies =
that the amplifier may be *capable* of achieving the rated power =
specification with a continuous power envelope but only over short =
durations OR over continuous a duration, but not a continuous envelope.  =
=20

  The term "RMS POWER" is in and of itself an oxymoron.  Applying RMS =
strictly to the power component yields a value of zero.  Since power can =
never be negative, I suspect that the original intent was to apply RMS =
to either the voltage OR the current value in determining "RMS Power," =
not the power value itself.  I believe Mike correctly stated this in the =
power calculation from his previous post.

  -Paul, W9AC

------=_NextPart_000_00A1_01C0FFC7.AADF2760

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
<X-TAB></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>Hi Bill,</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>Isn</FONT><FONT =
face=3D"Courier New"=20
  size=3D2>'t the RMS Power rating of an audio amp much lower than its=20
  </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>peak output capability? When =
I was in=20
  high school drooling over</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>high-end stereo amps, I =
recall magazines=20
  like Stereo Review would</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>rate audio amplifiers in =
terms of their=20
  peak output </FONT><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>capability =
</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>as well as RMS output. =
</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yes, until the Federal Trade =
Commission (FTC)=20
  became involved after numerous consumer complaints were filed over =
deceptive=20
  advertising practices relating&nbsp;to audio&nbsp;power amplifier=20
  specifications.&nbsp; In the late '70s, the FTC&nbsp;stepped in and =
required=20
  that all audio power amplifier manufacturers must advertise their =
published=20
  power specifications in terms of "continuous power."&nbsp; Many of the =
better=20
  manufacturers complied, others did not.&nbsp; Other terms like peak =
power,=20
  intermittent peak power and many others were =
crafted&nbsp;by&nbsp;shrewd=20
  marketing departments.&nbsp; It's interesting to look at the amplifier =
power=20
  specs in an old Lafayette or Allied Radio catalog from the early =
'70s.&nbsp;=20
  Not surprisingly, we continue to have this problem today in the =
advertised=20
  specifications of commercially-made amateur radio power =
amplifiers.&nbsp;=20
  Stating power in terms of "Continuous Power, Unlimited =
Duration"&nbsp;takes=20
  into account the power envelope over time, since the power can =
fractionally=20
  change over a snap-shot in time.&nbsp; Anything less than continuous,=20
  no-time-limit implies that the amplifier may be *capable* of achieving =
the=20
  rated power specification with a continuous power envelope but only =
over short=20
  durations OR over continuous a duration, but not a continuous =
envelope.&nbsp;=20
  &nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The term "RMS POWER" is in and of =
itself an=20
  oxymoron.&nbsp;&nbsp;Applying RMS&nbsp;strictly to the power component =
yields=20
  a value of zero.&nbsp; Since power can never be negative,&nbsp;I =
suspect that=20
  the original intent was to apply RMS to either the voltage OR the =
current=20
  value in determining "RMS Power," not the power value itself.&nbsp; I =
believe=20
  Mike correctly stated this in the power calculation from&nbsp;his =
previous=20
  post.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Paul, W9AC</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A1_01C0FFC7.AADF2760--