[AMPS] RF sensing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RF sensing
From: Peter.Chadwick@zarlink.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:02:23 +0100
Rich said:

>However, PIN diodes are a whole nuther ballgame.

My thoughts, too. I discussed this sometime back with George, W2VJN, and he had
his reservations.

>However, the NPN transistor will not key a negative-V.

Depending on the volts you are switching, an opto isolator can be a convenient
level shift/isolation device to go with a high voltage PNP/NPN transistor to
switch negative voltages.

>The good news about vacuum relays is they recover reliably from static
discharges.

I figure that as a good reason for tube PA stages. I arrange the antenna
changeover to be energise for receive. This connects the antenna to the
amplifier when the station is switched off, on the basis that a tube rated for
several thousand volts of swing has a better chance of sithstanding things than
a solid state front end - and probably with a tuning cap or two going to arc
first anyway. Not that we have lightning at all comparable with that which you
get in the US.

73

Peter G3RZP