[AMPS] 14KW

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 14KW
From: Ken Barber" <kenw2dtc@home.com (Ken Barber)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:47:18 -0400

>  In days of yore, when I was active on 80m long-path, there was a turkey
> in LA who ran an obnoxiously overdriven (160w) SB-200.  He would make
> longish calls in hopes of getting through the sunup pileups.  This kept
> others from hearing the Europeans.

If he kept others from hearing the Europeans, he would have to be
transmitting while the Europeans were transmitting.  Clean amp or dirty amp,
he was still doubling.

> If the European station cold hear the 14kW signal in the pileup , he would
> pick up the feculent station and, with luck, peace would temporarily
return to
> c. 15kHZ of the DX window.

I wonder if the guy with the 14KW felt any level of accomplishment working
DX?
With that kind of power, it would be a matter of spending some time on the
band,
rather than demonstrating any level of operating skill.

Ken
W2DTC