[AMPS] QRP

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] QRP
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil (VA3UX))
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:31:08 -0400
An interesting point of view Tom and somewhat justifiable.  However you may
have missed the "spirit" of QRP.  The thrill for *most* QRP'ers is not
necessarily the fact that *they* worked the other guy, but the fact that
anybody at all heard their tiny signal.  Most QRP'ers appear to get more of
a kick out of working another QRP'er than they do working someone with a
farm full of towers and antenna's. Being heard by a well equipped contest
station - well hell, that's a given; no big deal there.

As for this poor "Other Guy" that has to have this and that : the only
thing the other guy has to have is air, water and food; the rest is all
extra.  No one demands that there be someone on the other end with a great
system and good skills.  I suspect that someone that does have all these
extra goodies, and that also begrudges handing out a contact to weak signal
guy, would be the kind of person that would help an old lady across the
street and then ask to be paid after the deed. Although I can't see why
someone with a good antenna system and good operating skills would complain
about working a weak signal because - that's what all that stuff is
for.  It isn't for working the easy stuff - is it ?  It would be
confirmation that he really does have a good set-up and good skills.  At
least that's how I'd look at it.

Take care

Phil