[AMPS] 14KW

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 14KW
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:15:19 -0700

>I really don't understand the thrill to work the DX with a commercial
>equipment and antenna seen as black boxes, found with the "help" of
>packetcluster and virtually with no knowdledge of anything, possibly chasing
>a report with several attempts or guided by a *gentle and patient* net
>controller.

Amen, Mauri.  Who says you have to hear them to work them?

>The same hard for me to understand how someone can earn the title of "good
>operator" only by his good hears and operational skill when he doesn't even
>know  how does it work what he uses, not even the headlines.
>To me, hanging on the pure operational skill is only 50% within the amateur
>radio original spirit and doesn't qualify a good operator as an amateur
>radio operator, but I'm probably not enough commercially oriented and
>updated....or politically correct.
>To deal with some 14 Kw, whose event I don't think is so common and worth
>the effort, is not exactly an easy task but there some own technical
>knowledge is probably required ......at least.

  I did not feel that I understood linear amplifiers until I worked the
bugs out of the "tetrode with handles" amplifier.

The laughable part of this construction project was being called a
"goddamn liar" after answering questions about what it was that made
their S-meter go up >20db.

ciao, Mauri

>> I wonder if the guy with the 14KW felt any level of accomplishment working
>> DX?
>> With that kind of power, it would be a matter of spending some time on the
>> band,
>> rather than demonstrating any level of operating skill.
>>
>> Ken
>> W2DTC
>>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps