[AMPS] 4CX800 Filament Voltage ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4CX800 Filament Voltage ?
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:27:01 -0700

>> to the rear of the amplifier.  I know I have seen that tubes like
>> the 3-500 can get extended life by lowering the 5.1v filament
>> voltage to something slightly lower.  Does this also apply to the
>> 4CX800 and similar tubes?  I think the specs on the 4CX800
>> are 12.6v +- .7 volts.
>
>In amateur service, virtually zero tube failures come from filament
>hours.

//  ... depends on filament potential.    The three Henry Radio models of
3-500Z amplifiers that run 5.8 - 6 v on the 5.25v-max. filament typically
have a useful emission life of a few hundred hours.

>  Most come from excessive grid currents or just plain old
>flawed tubes.

//  Are all of the reported 8877 failures in the AL-1500 due to a
manufacturing flaw at Eimac that lasted for 14-months c. 12-years ago?

>With an indirectly heated tube, you can actually ruin the tubes
>emission by operating at low voltage. Gettering is also on the
>cathode, and may not work correctly if heater temperature is too
>low.
>
>Run the tube dead on the rated voltage,

//  Operating a filament or heater "dead on" seems to contradict the tube
manufacturers' ratings of +/- 5%.

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end