[AMPS] Distortion, amp design, and 813s (newbie alert!!)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Distortion, amp design, and 813s (newbie alert!!)
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:39:37 -0700

>--- 2 <2@vc.net> wrote:
>
>> >How 'bad' would they be?  Even in a
>> >push-pull circuit?  With NFB ???
>> >
>> //  Push-pull is a 5-gallon bucket of worms.
>
>How so.... aside from the extra complexity of
>bandswitching, load matching, balancing, etc??

//  Bandswitching is the problem.

>> >I intend to build a grid-driven setup with bias and
>> >screen supplies
>>
>> //  If you go with grid driven, better wear
>> disguises to ham conventions
>> and swap meets.  Name/Call badges are not a good
>> idea either.
>> Grid-driven 813s are reliable splatter generators.
>
>Interesting.  Is this a characteristic of the tube or
>one of poor design or of poor loading/driving
>practices?

// No tube or transistor is linear in Class-B.  Some Zero Signal Anode
Current (ZSAC) is needed, which means Class AB_.

>Would you think cathode driven operation with, or
>without screen/bias supplies would be best?

//  There is no difference in G-G gain between grid and screen bias
supplies and cathode biased.

>(Not necessarily what would be easier)  I ask because it
>seems to some, G-G means grids strapped to ground and
>to others, it just means RF grounded.

//  Either way is ok.   813s are apparently fairly immune to parasites.

>Thanks for your thoughts.

ur welcome, Randy

good luck

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.