[AMPS] RE: 3-500z cooling

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE: 3-500z cooling
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:03:27 -0700

> Hi Steve,
>
> This has been tossed around on here numerous times. You do need some air
> movement around the seals. Muffin or similar fans [sb-220] work just fine.
> My Amp Supply LK-500ZC has a 5 inch muffin fan, the output of which partly
> blows below the raised [and open on the other end]  tube socket platform
> thereby cooling the tube pins/seals.
        [Steve Katz]  I realize that, although I have not made any
measurements to confirm how effective this is.  I'm questioning why Henry,
Drake and others used centrifugal blowers and glass chimneys, at obviously
increased cost and complexity, when these things are apparently not
required.  And my very old Eimac data sheets on a variety of power grid
(glass) tubes recommends use with their glass chimneys.  Was that just to
sell expensive glass chimneys?

> As for cooling the tube glass envelopes, the high volume low pressure air
> from these type fans wraps around the tube envelope and cools t very well.
        [Steve Katz]  Seems to.