[AMPS] coax connector ratings

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] coax connector ratings
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 09:07:28 +0100
2 wrote:

>>2 Wrote:
>>
>>>Type-C connectors have more current carrying ability and more voltage
>>>withstanding ability than Type-N. Type-C are moisture proof, and bayonet
>>>mount.
>>>
>>While that is true, they suffer from the same problem as BNC, in that
>>the bayonet locking force comes from compressing a rubber gasket, which
>>eventually softens and loosens the connector.
>
>//  Silicone rubber is virtually non compressive.

I used to use several C connectors which had come from testgear at a
local research facility. After several years of sitting in a rack, the
gaskets had compressed and you could spin the plugs quite freely in the
sockets...  exactly like an old BNC.

The problem with all bayonet-type mechanisms is that they cannot apply
maximum compression to the spring or gasket when locked - if they did,
you wouldn't be able to operate the twist-lock.

>>A better solution might
>>have been type SC ("Screw C") or LC but these always seem to have been
>>scarce.
>>
>//  Screws can loosen.

But you have control over that, unlike the ageing of a gasket.

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek