[AMPS] ALPHA 374A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALPHA 374A
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 07:22:18 -0700
I purchased a 374A in "mint" condition a few years ago for $1295, and felt
that was a reasonably good deal.  Obviously, the cost of three new
replacement tubes is about that!  For one with very few hours on the tubes
and in factory-fresh condition, I'd have likely paid a bit more.

When you say "full output," is that in the bandpass (no-tune) mode?  If so,
and you get full output on 10m in the bandpass mode, that's wonderful, and
unusual for such an oldie, probably means the owner never messed with it!

Only caveat I can think of is that the 374A needs to be installed where
there's a lot of breathing room behind it.  It does not vent or exhaust out
the top, but out the rear, and the output duct is very small (as you've
likely noticed) and blows a steady stream of very hot air under key-down
condx.  That air needs to blow, unrestricted, for quite a distance.  I
wouldn't place anything behind the amp for about 12" or so.  Other than
that, it's a rather amazing amp that has proven itself a workhorse in
hundreds of contest stations around the world...

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger