[AMPS] HV warning

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV warning
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:16:37 -0500
Very good advice, John.

Religiously sticking to safety rules and following procedures will save your
life.  Do it even if you don't think you need to.  It's like operating a
firearm.  You check the chamber for a bullet every single time you handle
it.  It only takes once.

Such things saved my life as I almost touched a live 6KV anode line because
I was certain the power was off on the power supply.  But then I thought
about my procedures and decided to put my HV probe on the line anyhow (it
only took seconds to do and saved my life).  The line had HV on it and what
I had failed to do was to verify that every breaker on the power supply was
off.  One was still on.

So in fact, double and triple layers of precaution should be used in case
you miss something.

But the idea of walking into rooms full of cap banks that have been charged
with 80KV gives me the willies!  YIKES!

Oh yes, and never work on HV when you are tired.  That's a good bit of
advice to!

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 10/11/01 10:41 AM, John T. M. Lyles at jtml@lanl.gov wrote:

> K7DD, Mike Baker, has printed a very detailed and wise treastise on
> the hazards of high voltage. Everything he said reminds me of various
> accidents and scenarios for accidents which I can remember. I have
> never felt the jab of derious DC HV supplies, but have seen others do
> it. <SNIP>

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA