[AMPS] Tuning question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tuning question
From: edbriggs@optonline.net (Ed Briggs)
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 10:52:09 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_Jnm0ynfen/El4qhCugufYA)

I have two questions regarding tuning of vacuum tube linears.

I have a few questions about tuning a grounded-grid amplifier running in class
AB2.

The manufacturer of my ampl supplies representative values of grid current,
plate current, and power out as an approximate indicator of normal output.  I
find that I can frequently obtain the suggested P.out and Ip with substantially
less grid current (sometimes 50% less).  Is this an indication of improper
operation, or perhaps worse linearity? If so, why?

Second question.   If I want to run my amplifier at reduced power (say 50% for
RTTY),  regardless of tuning, it seems like the efficiency of the amplifier is
less then when operating at full power.   By this I mean that the P.input -
P.out  yields a *relatively* larger plate dissipation number at lower input
powers than at higher input power.    I'm interested to know why, and the
practical application of this is to run RTTY within a safe anode dissipation
budget.

Thanks
Ed
N1TS

--Boundary_(ID_Jnm0ynfen/El4qhCugufYA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have two questions regarding tuning of vacuum
tube linears. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have a few questions about tuning a
grounded-grid
amplifier running in class AB2.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The manufacturer of my ampl supplies
representative
values of grid current, plate current, and power out as an approximate
indicator
of normal output.&nbsp; I find that I can frequently obtain the suggested P.out
and Ip with substantially less grid current (sometimes 50% less).&nbsp; Is this
an indication of improper operation, or perhaps worse linearity? If so,
why?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Second question.&nbsp;&nbsp; If I want to run my
amplifier at reduced power (say 50% for RTTY),&nbsp; regardless of tuning, it
seems like the efficiency of the amplifier is less then when operating at full
power.&nbsp;&nbsp; By this I mean that the P.input - P.out&nbsp; yields a
*relatively* larger plate dissipation number at lower input powers than at
higher input power.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm interested to know why, and the
practical application of this is to run RTTY within a safe anode dissipation
budget.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Ed</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>N1TS</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_Jnm0ynfen/El4qhCugufYA)--