[AMPS] Tuning question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tuning question
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Colin Lamb)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:49:15 -0800
I thought I had the perfect answer to operating at different power levels on
my grounded grid amp.  I found a surplus motorized variac.  I had a big
0-250 volt meter on the panel, along with the plate voltage meter.  It
looked cool to run voltage up and down.

However, it took about 10 seconds to go from half power to full power, which
seems like an eternity.  Definitely too long for serious operation.  And, it
took up about 10" of rack space and weighed 100 pounds.

Finally dismantled the rig and sold the final amp and parts.  Now the only
thing I use variacs for in the high powered rig is the filament.

Colin K7FM