[AMPS] Question - Using 3 phase Xfmr on single phasepower? RESOLVED

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Question - Using 3 phase Xfmr on single phasepower? RESOLVED
From: jflanders2@home.com (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:35:19 -0500
Looks like your recommendation is going to  work AOK, Bob.

With 110 on primary leg A, I wired in primary leg B through a light bulb
(to limit current if necessary). Even though I can measure about 31 VAC
across the light bulb contacts before I screwed in the bulb, there seemed
to be negligible current through it when I screwed it in, so I shorted
across the light bulb and no problemo! I now have two primaries activated
with no apparent transformer heating or abnormal current consumption! I am
surprised, but will not argue with success.

Checking voltage on the filter cap I got 451 with only one primary leg
activated, then 548 with both. This is with 110 on the primaries. When I
put the full 220 on it, I think it will be about right. I am hampered a
little by not knowing the exact voltage it would put out in normal 3-phase
use, but I know the AC ratings on the transformer, so can make a good guess
about the DC voltage.

I may have to add more filtering later, but that is another story, and one
I can write by myself. I haven't put a load on it yet. If anything strange
happens then, I will report it here.

Thanks for the help.

Jerry W4UK