[AMPS] Coil Forms

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Coil Forms
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 07:43:51 +0000
Peter Chadwick wrote:

>At one time (some 30 years ago) there was a company in the UK called Codar, who
>made coil stock like B & W. they did move to a higher temperature material than
>polystyrene - from memory, I think it was ABS, but I'm not totally sure
>of that.
>
>At the kW level, I'm a bit dubious about the old polystyrene rod supported coil
>stock: there's a lot of amps involved, and even if you follow Rich's advice and
>provide cooling air, I think you could be pushing it.

There was once an article in Ham Radio which described how to make
B&W-like coil stock using two or four flat strips of fibreglass, glued
on with epoxy. It should give better high-temperature performance than
the kind where the wire is melted in.

Another trick is to support the wire on a cross-shaped former made from
two sheets of fibreglass, with either notches or four rows of holes
along the outer edges. That one needs hardly any epoxy on the wires,
only to hold the former together.

                            http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek