[AMPS] Reverse-engineering design plate HV

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Reverse-engineering design plate HV
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:28:16 -0600
//   The maximum AC potential across a blocking capacitor is typically
less than a hundred volts at the lowest operating freq.  The maximum DC
potential across one is the no-load anode supply voltage.  The critical
rating is the RF ampere rating at the highest operating frequency.  I see
no reason for the ARRL's statement.  QST no longer has a Technical
Editor.

In the 1999 ARRL Handbook (et al) on page 13.13, a formula is given
as a "very rough rule of thumb" for figuring maximum RF current in a
blocking capacitor @ 28 mhz. I "plugged in" 35pf anode C, 1 amp Ip,
and 4 kv anode E. The result was 350 amps! (a bit high, me thinks!)
Perhaps my ignorance of the "new math" caused an error????

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC