[AMPS] HV connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV connectors
From: n1rj@pivot.net (Roger D. Johnson)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:30:54 -0500
 I, frankly, get a little nervous whenever I disconnect the Millen
high voltage connector on the back of my Drake L7. The wire to it
looks like the center of RG-8 so there's plenty of insulation. Or
is there? Doesn't insulation fail sometimes? I'd feel much better
having the HV inside a shielded cable where an arc to ground only
goes to the shield....not through my body. There is a type of HV
connector available called the MHV. It looks like a BNC but will
not mate with a BNC. It's available for all common cables and is
rated for 5kv. It's reasonably priced too. Maybe more than a Millen
setup but not much more and the security is worth it to me. They
are available through any large distributor such as Pasternak.

73, Roger