[AMPS] HV connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV connectors
From: mike.tubby@thorcom.co.uk (Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. (Hons) G8TIC)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:22:07 -0000

> > Our contest group has standardised on MHV connectors with RG400 type
> > PTFE/Teflon coax for the HT line and TNC with RG58 for the B- return on
> > all amps using 3-500, 8877, GS35B and 4CX1000 tubes - this has several
> > advantages:
> [Steve Katz]  Only problem I find with RG400 is that it's very
> expensive (retail $2.00 per foot or higher) and very inflexible, maybe
> 1/4-1/8 the flexibility of RG58 which is equivalent diameter.  It's kind
of
> overkill for an HT line, you don't need two silver plated
> shields....WB2WIK/6
> > - good quality connections that don't mate with anything else in the
> > station
> > - protective screen over the B+ and B-
> > - two grounds from the power supply to the amp
> > - interchangeable PSUs (HT packs) and amps
> >
> > connectos are available from Surplus Sales of Nebraska and others. Much
> > better
> > than PET100 connectors which were unreliable even at 2200V on 4CX250B
> > amps!

Got my RG400 second-hand in lengths about 20' long (ex-mil-spec. GPS
antenna feeders for old Trimble GPS receivers used in helicoptors) with SMA
connectors on - cost about £5.00 (USD $7.00) each ...

I've made cable pairs RG400+MHV for B+ and RG58+TNC for B- each
about 6' long and cable tied them together to run from the HT packs to the
various
amps ... okay its not the most flexible but its good quality and not likely
to let
me down when it counts...

Mike G8TIC/M0VHF