[AMPS] HV connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV connectors
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:18:15 +0000
David Kirkby wrote:

>There is another connnector, called SHV, which is similar is size to MHV, but
>does have some advantages I believe. The problem is, I can't recall what those
>advantages are !!!
>

>It might be something to do with the fact that if I recall correctly, the MHV
>can be forced to mate with BNC, which could be problem. Perhaps my
>memory is not
>as good as it used to be, but I pretty sure the SHV is better, yet similar is
>size/price if bought new from places like Huber and Shuner.

Well, you remembered most of it. SHV is based on BNC but is much more
modified than MHV, so SHV will not accidentally mate with any other
connector. Both contacts are deeply recessed, and the ground connection
reliably makes before the live. MHV fails on both of those counts - it's
incredible that it ever got out of the design office.

>I would agree with the other poster on PET100's. Best avoided.

These days, SHV are probably cheaper.

                            http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek